Some employers offer to obtain a license for you, so it’s worth asking before setting out on a mission to obtain one yourself!
You can ask Spinneys to obtain a license for you, however this can take a while (2weeks+) in some cases. So if you would like to obtain your liquor license in under 1 hour, read on…
Firstly to qualify for a liquor license you must:
– Have a valid residency visa
– Earn more than 2,500 AED per month
– Be a non Muslim
Spouses can also either have their own liquor license, or be added to their partners liquor license. An additional form is required for this as well as 2 passport photos.
You will need to take the following with you to the liquor licensing department:
– Passport copy
– Residents visa copy
– 2 color passport photos
– Completed application form Link to application form (This is the best quality available from the liquor licensing department!!)
– Salary certificate from your employer (This must be in Arabic and addressed to the Directorate General of Police Abu Dhabi Criminal Investigation Department)
– Cash to pay for the license (This is 20% of the value of your license. So if you obtain a license for 2,500 AED, you must pay 500 AED)
– If you are of Arabic decent you must also provide a certificate of religion from a church or embassy confirming you are not Muslim
The liquor license department has recently moved from Khalifah City A Police Station to the City Click here for a location map.
Opening times are Sun – Thurs 8:00 – 12:30.
There are no signs on the building, so I have included a photo of the door you need to go through. Once in the building go to the 2nd floor, turn left out of lift and take the 1st door on the left. This is a small room and you should be greeted by a guy when you enter.
*** Update, this now on the ground floor ***
Just hand everything to the guy in the room along with the cash amount.
From what I can gather you need to purchase a license for the maximum amount first then you can reduce it if needed when you renew next year.
Enjoy your license!
If your experience was different, please let everyone know by leaving a comment, thanks!